Forest Township Fire Department
Online burning permit system
For the issuance of burning permits in Forest Township.
Issuance of permit does not relieve the permittee of:
- The responsibility for complying with all air pollution laws, regulations and ordinances.
- Keeping a competent watch of the fire.
- The responsibility for any damage the fires may cause to other parties or their property.
- Good judgement MUST be used when burning even though a permit has been obtained.
NOTE: UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES SHALL ANYTHING OTHER THAN NATURAL VEGETATION BE BURNED.
Defined as the open burning of brush originating on the premises of private residences and burned on those premises. The burning of brush shall not create a nuisance. Also included are recreational bonfires.
Only natural vegetation is allowed to be burned in the open. Natural vegetation is defined as brush, grass, logs, tree limbs, yard clippings and similar items. Lumber and wood products (dimensional lumber, plywood, chipboard, etc.) is not considered to be natural vegetation and the burning of such materials is not permitted.
You must have the items listed below in order to burn:
- You must be 18 or older to obtain a burn permit; must have current permit on file.
- A charged garden hose or a five gallon bucket of water unless the ground is completely covered with snow.
- A shovel or rake.
- Pile must be at least 50 feet from structures.
Open burning is prohibited for any of the following reasons:
- The burning is offensive due to smoke and/or odor emissions when atmospheric conditions or local circumstances make such fires objectionable to others.
- Location of the open burning is less than 50 feet from any structure.
- Fire in approved containers are less than 15 feet from any structure.
- The open burning is not constantly attended and/or a garden hose or other approved fire extinguishing equipment is not available for use.
- No burning of leaves.
Permits are valid for thirty (30) days. Subsequent burning without a permit is a violation of these rules.
By completing the following form, I request authorization to start or cause to be started a fire upon land under my control at the specified address.